I’ve been eyeing smoothie bowl pics and recipes for a while now… Kind of curious and kind of confused, ya know? Is it a smoothie? Is it a soup? A pudding? What makes it so different than a regular smoothie?
Turns out I was overthinking it.
Basically it’s just a smoothie. In a bowl. The only real difference is a “smoothie bowl” is thicker than a regular smoothie.
Since I’m totally down with anything thick, creamy, and pudding-y, I’m completely on board with smoothie bowls! Turns out, I’m a smoothie bowl pro – I’m always adding wayyy too many thick ingredients to my smoothies and often end up eating them with a spoon anyway. All I’ve been missing is the bowl and pretty toppings!
This smoothie bowl is completely inspired by Oh She Glows’s fantastic recipe. I tweaked the proportions to suit my tastes and added my favorite protein to up the nutritional punch. (I also doubled the recipe when I made it; however, the following recipe is for one serving.)
Matcha Lime Protein Smoothie Bowl
Serves 1 | Yield: 2 cups / 1 bowl | Prep time: 10 min
- 3/4 cup coconut water
- 1 scoop (3 TB) Life Energizing Shake protein powder
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup avocado
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 to 3 ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Matcha green tea powder and/or 1 packet Shaklee 180 Energizing Matcha Green Tea
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend on high until completely smooth. (Consistency should be that of a very thick smoothie… So thick you need a spoon! 😉 ) Adjust sweetness if needed.
- Pour into a bowl and add toppings of choice. Eat with a spoon and enjoy!
- sliced banana
- sliced mango
- melted coconut oil
- shredded coconut
- hemp hearts
- lime zest