Peanut Butter & Jelly. They’re like the underrated power-couple of cuisine, right? No? Ok. Well they still make a cute pair. In honor of Valentine’s day I decided to whip up one of our family’s favorites… the marriage of the PB & J dynamic duo…
The PB & J Smoothie!
Anyone who knows us knows that we are big, big fans of smoothies in our household. I mean really, what’s not to love?
- They’re fast. Dump ingredients in blender. Push power button. Pour. (My kind of AM meal-prep!)
- They’re toddler-approved. Some days my kid will eat everything, including the dust-bunnies under the couch. Other days it’s only avocados. Or pizza crusts. Or milk. But he almost always is in the mood for smoothies.
- They’re easy to change up. I’m pretty sure my best recipes come about when I have next to nothing left in the fridge and/or I’m half awake in the morning. Dark Chocolate Avocado… Tropical Coconut… Peanut Butter Cup… We’re never bored!
- They’re an easy way to sneak in extra fruits, veggies, and protein into our diet. We like to throw a wide variety of fresh or frozen produce into our smoothies (bananas, apples, carrots, avocados, kale, spinach, strawberries… the list goes on and on!). Plus, our smoothies are powered by Life Shake so I know my family is getting the protein and nutrition they need (so many reasons to love Life Shake… non-GMO plant protein, patented delivery of pre & probiotics, leucine to help us retain our muscle, Omega-3s… gluten-free, lactose-free, artificial-everything free… all the heart-eyes for this stuff, folks).
Peanut Butter & Jelly. Now I know some people have strange aversions to this stuff… Their moms packed them PB & J sandwiches every day for 3rd grade or something and now the very thought of it makes them queasy. (If this is you – I’m sorry. This post isn’t for you.)
Me? PB & J makes me feel all happy inside. I’m a huge peanut butter fan to begin with, so it was only a matter of time before I stumbled upon a good PB & J smoothie recipe. It makes me feel like a kid again, but très chic because this is a grown up PB & J. I drink it with a straw and feel all sorts of fancy and healthy. (I like to imagine I’m on some sort of Masterchef competition and the mystery box is a bunch of smoothie items and children’s food and Ramsey says “Make me my favorite childhood food, but grown up… and in liquid form. Like the climactic scene of Ratatouille. But with smoothies.)
This smoothie is super easy to make and counts as breakfast or dessert. Best when doubled for sharing. 😉
PB & J Smoothie
- 2 scoops Vanilla Shaklee Life Energizing Shake Mix
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries (may substitute 1 cup red grapes if you prefer)
- 1 TBS natural peanut butter
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2-4 ice cubes
Add all items to a high speed blender and blend until creamy. Garnish with chopped peanuts and sliced strawberries if desired. Drink up!