Chocolate + Peanut Butter + Bananas. I’m not sure much else needs to be said. This is one of my favorite combos!
In college I made a habit of making “Reese’s” oatmeal by stirring peanut butter and whatever form of chocolate I had on hand into oatmeal. This was my go-to sustenance during finals and I still crave it.
Over the past few years I’ve fallen in love with Oh She Glow’s Early Morning Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal recipe. Because there’s caramelized bananas in it. Oh yes! So this recipe is definitely inspired by Oh She Glow’s deliciousness.
Lately I’ve been doing my normal morning routine of protein smoothie with fresh produce, but sometimes I crave something warm that I can eat while I sip my morning coffee. (Drinking hot coffee while drinking a cold smoothie… doesn’t work.)
This oatmeal has a particularly tasty banana flavor because of the caramelization process (but can easily be adjusted if bananas just aren’t your thing). It’s high in fiber and protein and keeps you full in a stick-to-your-ribs kind of way. The perfect breakfast for a lazy weekend morning when you have a little extra time to cook, but don’t want to feel hungry again in an hour!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
- 1 TB coconut oil
- 2 very ripe bananas, sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch rounds
- 2 TB natural peanut butter
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups milk (I used soy, but almond, coconut, or cow milk would work as well!)
- 1 TB cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 c + 2 TB chocolate protein powder (optional, but fantastic way to boost the nutritional content and keep you full longer. As always, my favorite is Life Shake!)
- In a medium pot over medium heat, caramelize sliced bananas by cooking in coconut oil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in peanut butter, oats, milk, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate protein powder.
- Serve with a splash of milk and garnish with peanut butter, peanuts, chocolate chips, etc…